Are you the type of person who loves to create new things using little more than your own two hands and your natural abilities? If so, then chances are you will love some of these popular types of DIY crafts. Feel free to try them all so that you can decide which ones are your favorites.
1. Knitting. If you love the idea of being able to create everything from clothing to stuffed animals, knitting is most likely right up your alley. These days, there are so many different types of yarn and unique patterns available that you will never get bored if you take knitting up as a hobby. Best of all, it is something that you can do anywhere. You can simply stuff your knitting needles in your bag and take them with you on the go. That means that you can knit at the park, while you are waiting for your doctor’s appointment, in front of the TV, or anywhere else that your heart desires. This is also an inexpensive hobby to get started with. All you need is a set of knitting needles and some yarn and you are ready to go. There are plenty of free patterns online that you can practice with.
2. Mosaics. If you find working on jigsaw puzzles enjoyable, chances are you will also enjoy making mosaics. The basic concept is fairly simple. All you do is glue down pieces of tile, glass, or stone on a hard surface. Once the glue has dried, you then put tile grout between the pieces. In the end, you are left with a beautiful, artistic surface that is full of color, texture, and shine. You can add mosaics to just about any surface ranging from planters and mirrors to countertops and backslashes. Best of all, this craft provides you with an opportunity to work with a variety of different materials, helping to ensure that you never get bored. You can even gather many of the materials for free simply by collecting old bottles or holding onto broken plates and tiles.
3. Sewing. If you are into fashion and like the idea of making your own clothing or home accessories, sewing is a great choice for a DIY craft. Although you can sew by hand, chances are you will be better off if you invest in a sewing machine. Typically, you can get a model that is more than adequate for a beginner for under $100. Then, all you need is some fabric and thread and you are ready to go. There are many free patterns available online that you can print out and tape together. Alternatively, you can also buy patterns at any craft store or sewing shop. You can even try your hand at quilting or other sewing-related crafts once you invest in a good sewing machine.
4. Jewelry making. Nothing is quite as rewarding as making wearable art. Jewelry making can be an extremely fun craft to get into. There are so many different beads and findings available to choose from that you can make just about any design that you can imagine. Even if you can’t find what you need, you can use materials such as silver clay or metal wire to create whatever you can envision. This can also be an extremely profitable hobby to get into since you can usually sell your jewelry for a relatively large profit. If you are looking for a craft that you can turn into a business, this is a great one to try.
What are you waiting for? Why not try out some of these popular types of DIY crafts to see which ones you enjoy the most? In the end, you may just find a hobby that you love.Read More
Your home is a reflection of your personality and you want it to both look good and stand out from the crowd. Blank walls lack personality, so why not turn them into your own private gallery with DIY wall decor? There are plenty of ways that you can add style to your walls without spending a ton of money. Read on to learn some simple ideas that can make your walls shine.
Frame Those Old Photographs
Vintage wall art is always a hit and if you have shoe boxes full of old black and white photos, frame them and hang them on the walls. Old photos look best when they are arranged into a collage. Go to a dollar store and get 10 frames in different sizes.
Make sure to buy some of the largest frames you can find and buy some of the smallest as well. After the project is finished you are going hang the frames in the pattern of your choice on the wall. It is important how you arrange the photos as well. You can group them into each frame by theme, time period or even subject. Don’t just randomly stuff the photographs into the frame.
Create Your Own Wall Sculpture
Wall sculptures provide maximum visual impact and they don’t have to cost too much money either. You can make them with inexpensive materials and you might even have all the materials you need right at home. If you want to stick with dollar store materials, you can make an impressive summer themed wall sculpture from shells and pieces of glass that you can buy by the bag.
You need to start with a piece of plywood as the base. You can go with either a square or an oval shape. Once you have your materials, you can just start gluing the shells and glass down on the board into any pattern you like. Once it looks good to your eye, you can choose to leave it as is or you can spray paint over it in the color of your choice. Whatever ever you decide to do, this project will add some pop to your walls.
Paint Your Own Masterpiece
Just because you aren’t a trained artist, it doesn’t mean that you can’t paint your own artwork. All you need is some blank canvas, some paints and a paintbrush or two and you have all the tools you need to pain your own painting. Go for a simple abstract that works with the colors in your home and hang it proudly. You can also just buy an adult paint by numbers kit and create a painting that way. Painting is fun and it can add some personality to your walls.
DIY wall decor doesn’t have to cost a fortune. With simple materials you can buy in the dollar store, you can create unique wall art that will make your home look fantastic. Doing it yourself makes your home more unique.Read More
Are you looking for some do-it-yourself home decor ideas? If so, you’ve come to the right place. Continue to read on to learn about a few DIY home decor ideas you might be interested in trying.
1. Create A Plate Wall- If you have a living room or a kitchen that needs new life, then create a plate wall. All you have to do is get your hands on various types of plates and put them on a shelf that is attached to the wall. If you don’t want to install a shelf, then simply hang the plates up on your wall and arrange them as you see fit. You might be surprised at how much better a room will look with a plate wall, especially if it goes in your living room or kitchen.
2. Paint Your Dinnerware- Another decor idea you can do on your own is paint your dinnerware and then leave them in the open, such as on your table or on a shelf designed to hold dinnerware pieces. There are paints out there that are safe to use on dinnerware, so make sure you only use suitable products on your dinnerware. Your dining room will look a lot better and more colorful if you choose to paint your dinnerware with bright colors, but feel free to use any colors you want when you do paint.
3. Add Artwork- All too often, people have a lot of blank space on their walls and one of the best ways to fill that space up is with some nice decor. Artwork is one of the best forms of decor for walls, and you can be creative with the type of artwork you decide to place on your walls. There are animal decals that you can use as your artwork and there are many other forms of artwork you can add to the walls, and best of all, wall artwork can be used in just about any room in your home.
4. Paint An Old Table- Do you have an old table laying around and it can do with a paint job? If so, then give it one, or go out and buy a used table from a discount store, and it can be an end table, coffee table or a kitchen table. If it’s a wooden table, then make sure you sand it down if it needs it and then paint over it with the color/colors of your choice. Here’s a tip, use 2-3 different colors because this will add some spice to the room it is in.
5. Do Something Different With The Kitchen Cabinets- Another easy DIY decor idea is to add some decorations to your kitchen cabinets or add some new cabinets. If you don’t want to spend money on new cabinet doors, then see if you can buy used doors and then give them a paint job, and this will breathe some new life into your kitchen. If you want to save a lot of money, then give your cabinets a paint job, because your cabinets may end up looking 10 times better than they do now. These are just a few things you can do to your kitchen cabinets.
Creating a plate wall is fun and so is painting your dinnerware. Adding creative artwork to the walls is a good idea too and so is painting an old table and doing something with your kitchen cabinets. Keep in mind that those are just a few DIY home decor ideas you can try, but feel free to try out any other ideas you have in mind.Read More
The Arts and Crafts movement has brought some interesting style to furniture and home accessories. Whether you want a Mission style couch or a Tiffany style lamp, adding Arts and Crafts touches to your home will elevate it and make it look amazing.
Read on to learn how you can make your home a better place by incorporating Arts and Crafts accessories into your decor.
The Different Styles You Can Add In
The Arts and Crafts movement revered beautiful objects that featured fine craftsmanship, instead of the mass-produced, cheap products that were readily found during that time. Good design meant a good society, and the objects were meant to be affordable yet of the highest quality.
Arts and Crafts style furniture features straight lines and angles with decorative motifs. You can find plenty of reproductions of classic pieces online and in furniture stores and if you have the budget, you can get an original at an antique store.
If you want to add some of this style to your home, think about incorporating a Mission style couch into your home decor. The couches feature a soft upholstered top with a wood base and arms. The lines are straight and the wood is usually a dark cherry or walnut hue. You can also find Arts and Crafts coffee tables made with cherry or oak and featuring the long lines and modern look that works great in any style home.
You might want to add in a Tiffany style stained glass lamp or a decorative rug while you are at it. Your home will look classy with an Arts and Crafts influence and the furniture is built to last. Many of the original pieces are still going strong to this day. They are solidly built and a worthy addition to your home.
Have a Budget in Mind
Arts and Crafts furniture will go with both modern home and vintage homes. The designs are so classic that they just don’t go out of style. They always look fresh no matter what type of home you have. You can find this type of furniture online and in stores. Be sure to compare prices of the piece you want because they can really vary. You should also have a budget in mind before you start to shop.
Having a budget figured out is helpful because it is so easy to go over that budget once you start shopping. The furniture looks so good that it is easy to just spend money. You will be tempted to order everything, but if you want your wallet to stay full, you need to set a budget before you start shopping. This way you won’t be tempted to overspend.
Arts and Crafts furniture can transform your home and make it look great. You can spend as much or as little as you want to get the look. You can go online to find inspiration and see how other people have incorporated the furniture into their homes.Read More
The Arts and Crafts movement flourished during the late 1800s and early 1900s in both Europe and the United States. The movement embraced fine craftsmanship, expressing style through the use of romantic or folk-inspired designs. The movement came about in response to the increasing industrialisation of society. Furniture was being mass produced, which many felt took away from its charm. Not only that, but it was often unstable and couldn’t withstand the rigours of everyday use.
The Arts and Crafts movement directly opposed this type of furniture and design. The focus was on the quality of the construction and the simplicity of the design. Durability and function were prized above the ornate details of traditional Victorian furniture. Arts and Crafts era furniture was not only built to last, but was designed to capture the beauty and simplicity of well-made designs.
Elements of Arts and Crafts Era Furniture
Decorating with this type of furniture can help you create a beautiful and inviting home. To make the most of this look, search for heavy-duty pieces that are built with solid construction. Most furniture from this era was finished in rich wood tones, adding warmth to the space.
Glass was also often used in design, with inset panels of slag glass or stained glass appearing in everything from light fixtures and lamps to bookcases and fireplaces. Look for pieces that incorporate glass panels if you really want to play up the Arts and Crafts theme.
Don’t forget about lamps and lighting when choosing pieces for your home. Lamps from this era were absolutely stunning, with glass panels inset into metal shades, creating bold geometric designs. Stained glass art that can be hung over your windows can also add to the Arts and Crafts feel, bringing the natural beauty of glass into your space.
When choosing pieces for your home, focus on quality and simplicity of design. Straight lines and simple construction are trademarks of this time period and can help you create an authentic look. By choosing the right Arts and Crafts era furniture and decor, you can transform your space into an inviting retreat where you will love to spend time with your friends and family.
Although there are plenty of reproduction pieces on the market, you may want to consider shopping at antique malls to find the real thing. Today’s furniture is typically mass-produced and lacks the original quality of the hand-made pieces from the early 20th-century. It is worth spending the extra money on a beautiful antique if you want to create an authentic look.Read More
Art is great, it gives you the opportunity of doing what you love and creating something you believe could change the way people think about themselves or the entire world for that matter. It gives you an opportunity to express yourself, to show the world that you can do something, and not only that, but also to show that you are great at doing that. However, there is one problem; unless you’re a famous artist, than you won’t earn a lot by doing arts. But, perhaps there is a way for you to make some money on your art, and we are going to give you some guidelines that might help you on that path.
First of all, you could try to sell your art online. Internet is full of various websites, and some of them deal with selling pieces of art; or you could just try to sell it on one of the numerous websites used to sell anything, such as eBay. That way, there is a good chance that someone would see your work and buy it. And who knows, a famous arts dealer might even catch an eye on you or your work.
If you truly believe that your work is good, you could try offering it to various arts dealerships, and give it to them on consignment – let them sell it, and in return you will give them a percentage of the earnings. However, this only works if those arts dealerships truly believe that they could sell your art. But, the good thing about it is the fact there is no need to pay them anything an advance – they will get their money when they sell your art, which will be another motive for them to try and sell it.
Figure out if there is an art gallery in your town, and ask them would it be okay if you had an exhibition there. There is no need for you to rent the entire gallery for your exhibition, you could just rent a couple of booths and display some of your best work there. This is not that expensive, and it will give you a sense of what the people who love art really think of your work. This may give you some pointers that could only improve your work in the future.
And finally, you can try promoting yourself. Now, this is strongly tied with the amount of money you have, or you are willing to spend, but like the old saying goes: “You have to spend money to make money”. If you really don’t have any money for this, you could try selling your art on the street. That way, you can make some money without having to spend it, but you have to keep in mind that the amount of money you make would not be that big.
These are just some actions you can take in order to promote your work and to try and make some money on it. Be inventive, and try to come up with new ways, because those with ingenuity are destined for great things.Read More